Pictures were taken by Gertrude Meyer
on May 2, 2005.
The domed structure in the center of the picture is Santi Luca e Martina, originally an early medieval church, but it was rebuilt in 1635-64 by Pietra da Cortona. The three columns in front of the church are from the Temple of Vespasian which were nearly completely buried in the 18th century. Just to the right of the temple columns is the Arch of Septimius Severus that we saw on the previous page.
The Temple of Saturn
We're looking east along the length of the forum.
Looking toward the main concourse
Seeing the rest of the scene between the Arch of Septinius Severus and Temple of Saturn gives a sense of scale to those mammoth structures.
There was more to the Temple of Saturn than just columns.
Click any image above to go to the next page, or use the navigation buttons below.