Pictures were taken by Gertrude Meyer
on May 2, 2005.
Temple of Antonius and Faustina
The portico of the temple built in AD 141,
has been incorporated into the church of San Lorenzo in Miranda.
This column, 44 ft. high, is one of the few to have remained upright since the day it was put up. Until 1816, when an inquisitive Englishwoman, Lady Elizabeth Foster, widow of the fifth duke of Devonshire, decided to excavate its pedestal, nobody knew what it was. It turned out to be the youngest of the Forum's monuments, erected in AD 608 in honor of the Byzantine emperor Phocas, who had just paid a visit to Rome. The column may have been placed here as a mark of gratitude to Phocas for giving the Phantheon to the pope.
Column of Phocas
Anybody want to estimate the age of this building? (78 BC)
Arches stabelize the columns that once supported a portico on what appears to be the second floor. There was once a third-floor portico too. This housed the State Archive of Rome and, standing close against the Capitoline Hill, it forms a background for the valley of the Roman Forum. Later, it was used as a store for salt and as a prison. Today it is City Hall. The upper part of the building belongs to the Senatorial Palace and is a 16th century reconstruction.
This is the other side of the building pictured on page 13. It is the Palazzo Senatorio.
Click any image above to go to the next page, or use the navigation buttons below.